Volunteers play an important role in fulfilling the Historical Society Archives mission of serving as a research center for the study of the Central California history. The work of organizing and describing historical material housed in the Archives is advanced through the participation of volunteers. Volunteers take on a variety of duties including:
1. Researching printed materials and conducting internet research to answer genealogical requests and historical research.
2. Processing historic documents and inventorying or creating finding aids.
3. Working with photographs: identifying, scanning, and researching collections.
4. Transcribing and scanning historical records for the Historical Society website.
5. Assisting with special research and education projects.
These projects, requiring many different talents and skills, are integral to the operation of the Archives. Volunteers have the opportunity to interact with our staff, gain proficiency in historical research, and play an important role in preserving the Valley’s remarkable history. The Archives provides orientation, training, and supervision for all volunteers.
Currently, the Archives is seeking volunteers for the following projects:
1. Scanning historical photographs and documents. Individual must have experience working with a scanner and photographs.
2. Transcribing Oral Histories. Individual must have experience working with computers and word processing programs. Also seeking Spanish proficiency to help with Spanish- speaking tapes.
If you are interested in these or any future opportunities, please download the Volunteer Application Form below and either mail the completed form:
Fresno Historical Society
7160 W Kearney Blvd.
Fresno CA 93706
or Fax to: (559) 441-1372. The Archives staff will contact you within 10 working days from its receipt.
The Archives also encourages Student Interns (from the local university and colleges) to work one or two semesters with our collections. For further information, please contact (firstname.lastname@example.org )