The Fresno Historical Society Archives offers research to serve a broad range of subjects including family history and genealogy, historic structures, ethnic groups, organizations, business and local government history. The Historical Society is a non-profit organization, and the following research fees are for staff time, cost of copies to assist researchers in their projects and to continue funding the preservation of our collection.
For members of the Historical Society please see Members’ Fees.
For those researchers unable to visit us in person, we offer a Research for Fee service. Staff will search available sources and provide you with an emailed/written report of the findings.
• Telephone, email and written requests - $20 per hour; commercial fee $30 per hour
• All research service requests must be pre-paid (miniumun one-hour charge). See Payment below for address to mail payment.
• Includes up to 5 black/white photocopies or 2 color copies
• Additional photocopies at $ .25 each (black & white), $1.00 each for color.
• Postage: An additional $6.00 for Certified U.S. Mail with return receipt postcard. (Charge may increase depending on weight of materials. Researcher will be contacted.)
E-mail Research Requests
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a description of the information you need, plus your address and phone number. Information on research fees above.
The Historical Society holds over 30,000 photographs in its collections. Most are available for photographic reproduction for personal display or publication. Fees for businesses, professional firms, and commercial organizations requesting in-depth photo research may be negotiated on a case-by-case basis.
• $30 per hour, charged in one-hour increments. We will notify you if research time is required and provide an estimate.
• Historical Society members receive up to one hour of research time at no charge. Additional research hours at $10 per hour.
• 10% discount on final reproduction order (photocopies or photographs).
All research service requests must be pre-paid (minimum one hour charge). Once the Archives receives payment, your research will be placed into the workflow. (Research questions are answered in the order in which they are received.) Generally, research requests are completed in three to four weeks. Researcher will be contacted if requests will take longer than one month. You may authorize up to 5 hours of research to complete your request. If we feel your request will take more time than you have authorized, we will contact you.
Mailing address for service request payments: Fresno Historical Society, Attn: Archives, 7160 W. Kearney Blvd., Fresno, CA 93706
Delivery and Postage
All research requests will be answered through the mail or email. Payment of $6.00 for Certified U.S. Mail (with return receipt postcard) is required. Charge may increase depending on weight of materials. Researcher will be contacted.
Completion of Research Request
Research requests are filled in three to four weeks after receipt of payment. Researcher will be contacted if request will take longer than one month.
Further Research Suggestions:
You may wish to contact the following repository. They may be able to give you further suggestions on research sources:
The Fresno County Public Library, Central Branch.
The San Joaquin Valley Heritage & Genealogy Center (located on the 2nd floor)
Fresno County Public Library
2420 Mariposa Street
Fresno, CA 93721-2285
Obituary Requests 1922 - present
For obituaries from 1922 to the present, contact Reference Services of the Fresno County Library. The reference department has microfilm copies of the Fresno Bee and may be able to do a search. It is customary to send a small donation to the Library (about $10.00) for this service.
The Fresno County Public Library, Central Branch, Reference Department. 2420 Mariposa Street, Fresno, CA 93721. (559) 600-7323
Email form: http://www.fresnolibrary.org/ref/webref.html
Contact us at email@example.com